There are times when our content is scattered on different PDF documents and we wish to merge them together as a single file. If you are a professional who works with PDF files regularly, then you can encounter a similar situation. Since there is no native solution in PDF readers for this, users often look for third-party methods. For this, you can combine PDF in Preview on a Mac or use any other application as well. Get to know about various solutions to combine PDF with Preview in this informative post.
Solution 1: Combine PDF Files in Preview on Mac
If you own a Mac, then you can view PDF documents and combine PDF using Preview. Since Preview is an inbuilt application on Mac, you can access this feature for free. You can either add an entire document to your file or just select the pages of one PDF and merge it into another PDF document. Here’s a quick guide on how to combine PDF using Preview on Mac:
1. Combining PDF Documents Using Preview (an entire document)
- Firstly, go to Finder > Applications > Preview and just open the first PDF document in the Preview application on your Mac.
- If you can’t see thumbnails in the sidebar, then go to its “View > Thumbnails” to enable it. Now, insert your cursor to the location where you wish to add another PDF.
- Afterward, go to “Edit > Insert > Page from File…” to load a browser window, letting you locate and open the PDF you wish to combine.
That’s it! This will automatically combine PDF in Preview and you can later go to File > Export as PDF to save the merged documents as a single file.
2. Combine PDF Pages in Preview (selected pages of one document with another)
- To start with, just launch the Preview application and open both the PDF documents on it.
- If you can’t see the thumbnail of pages, then go to “View > Thumbnails” to enable it.
- Now, go to your first PDF document and select the thumbnails of the PDF you wish to combine. You can press the Command button to select multiple pages.
- Drag the selected pages from the first document and just drop them to the thumbnail view of the second document to paste them.
Once you successfully combine PDF files using Preview, you can go to “File > Export as PDF” to save the modified document.
Solution 2: Combine PDF Files on Windows
While Mac users can combine two PDF in Preview, Windows users can try several available applications to do the same. For instance, Nitro PDF Suite is one of the most reliable Windows applications that can merge different PDF files together. You can either merge an entire file or combine the pages of your choice. Apart from that, you can also add a new page and do so much more, like the editing of the PDF document, its conversion, or just protecting the file. You can try these solutions to combine PDF in Windows using Nitro Pro.
1. Combine a Whole PDF File
- Launch Nitro PDF Suite on your system and open the PDF file on which you wish to add another document.
- Go to the sidebar and navigate to the Pages section to get the Pages pane on the interface.
- That’s it! You can now drag another PDF from the Explorer and drop it to the desired position on the Pages pane to add it to your file.
2. Combine Selected PDF Pages
- Just open both the PDF files on different tabs of Nitro PDF that you wish to combine.
- Now, go to the first PDF document and visit its Pages Pane to view the thumbnail of its pages.
- Simply select the pages that you wish to copy, drag them, and drop them to the location on the second PDF where you wish to copy them.
- In the end, just go to File > Save option to export the combined PDF file as a single document.
Furthermore, Nitro PDF Suite can also help you add a blank page, add pages from the scanner, add pages from the clipboard, and several other sources as well.
Solution 3: Online Solutions to Combine PDFs
There are several readily available online tools as well that you can use to combine PDF documents. Some of these popular online solutions are MergePDF, CombinePDF, PDFMerge, PDF2Go, iLovePDF, SmallPDF, and so on. You can just load both the files and merge them as a single document. Although, most of these tools are free, they might end up leaving a watermark on the merged file. Some of them also have limitations on the size of the PDF file that they can merge as well. Who knew merging PDF files would be so easy, right? In this guide, I have provided a step by step solution to combine PDF files on Preview on Mac or Nitro PDF on Windows. You can go with either of the solutions, depending on the type of system you own. If you are a Windows user, then you can use Nitro PDF to even edit the existing PDF documents. Apart from combining PDF files together, it can also help you convert them into different formats, protect them, annotate them, and even share them with others for collaboration.