“I have recently scanned a digital image and have processed it as a PDF document, but now I want to convert the scanned PDF to Word. Can someone tell me about the best scanned PDF to Word converter?” As I read this query posted on Quora, I realized that a lot of people out there struggle to convert a scanned PDF to a Word document. Well, unlike a standard document, a scanned PDF is ideally a digital image of the file and doesn’t have the usual textual content. That’s why you need to use a dedicated software to convert scanned PDF to Word that would have an OCR feature. In this guide, I will let you know how to convert a PDF scanned document to Word in two different ways. Let’s begin!
What is Optical Character Recognition?While there are a lot of scanned PDF to editable Word converters out there, most of them would not meet your requirements. This is because they lack a sophisticated OCR (Optical Character Recognition) feature. A tool with the OCR feature would scan PDF and would automatically decode the textual content (words, symbols, and so on). In this way, even if it is a digital image, the OCR feature can extract textual content from it and present it in an editable Word format.
PDFelement: The Best Scanned PDF to Word Converter [with OCR]If you are looking for one of the best solutions for scanned PDF to Word converters out there, then you can try PDFelement by Wondershare. It provides a smart solution to perform OCR on the scanned PDF and convert it to an editable Word file. It is an extremely sophisticated feature that supports different languages like English, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese, German, French, Japanese, and so on. There are also other features in the tool that would let you convert a scanned PDF to Word document easily.
- You can directly load a PDF document and the tool would automatically detect that it is a scanned PDF file.
- The OCR tool is an inbuilt feature of PDFelement and you don’t need to install any other third-party plugin.
- The application supports 20+ different languages for us to scan a PDF file and convert its text in the language of our choice.
- If you want, you can convert scanned PDF to Word with multiple pages, make it editable, and protect it.
- There are also tons of other features in PDFelement that you can use to edit, convert, split, merge, redact, and protect your files.
Step 1: Open the PDF document on PDFelementFirstly, just install and launch PDFelement on your system. From its home, click on the “Open File” button and browse the scanned PDF file.
Step 2: Access the OCR featureAs soon as you would load the scanned PDF document, the application will automatically detect it. If you get a prompt asking to automatically perform OCR on the file, just agree to it. Alternatively, you can also visit its Convert tab and click on the “OCR” feature from here.
Step 3: Convert scanned PDF to WordThis will open a dedicated window for OCR features on PDFelement. At first, I would recommend clicking on the feature to select a preferred language for the file (it is English by default). Besides that, you can select if you wish to convert it to an editable Word file or just searchable Word document. To explore other features, you can click on the “Customize Pages” option. That’s it! After making the appropriate selection, just go to the Convert tab again and click on the “To Word” option. This will automatically convert the scanned PDF document to a Word file using its OCR technique.
Nitro Pro: Another Tool to Convert Scanned PDF to WordIf you want, you can also take the assistance of Nitro Pro as a PDF to Word editable text converter. Just like PDFelement, Nitro Pro also has an inbuilt OCR feature that can automatically scan a PDF and convert it into editable text. You can install it on your Windows and use the application to convert scanned PDF to Word as multiple pages. Here’s how you can take the assistance of this software to convert scanned PDF to Word.
- To start with, just launch Nitro Pro on your Windows and go to its Convert tab > To Word option.
- This will launch a dedicated window to convert PDF files to Word. Firstly, click on the “Add Files” button to load a PDF document on the application.
- Now, just select the pages you wish to scan (or choose the entire document). You can select individual pages or apply an entire range.
- Once you are done, go to the Output field and mark a location to save the converted document. In the end, just click on the “Convert” button and wait as the scanned PDF would be converted to a Word document.