How to convert PDF image to text? Last week, I had a similar question in mind when I scanned a document and created it as a PDF file. Later, I had to export it as a text document that got me digging for a reliable PDF image to text converter. Since a standard PDF to text converter can’t process an image file, I had to find the perfect tool with OCR features. Thankfully, I was able to convert my PDF scanned image to text using just the perfect tools that I’m going to discuss here.
Why a Standard PDF to Text Converter Won’t Work Here?Before I proceed and tell you how I did PDF image to text conversion, I wanted to share my experience. When I searched on the web, I did find some PDF to text converters, but they didn’t work. The reason was that I didn’t want to convert a standard, but a scanned PDF document. For this, we need to use a dedicated tool with Optical Character Recognition features. An OCR tool can scan the image file, process the written content, and later convert it into an editable format. Therefore, when you look for a camera scanner to PDF tool, make sure that it has an OCR feature in it.
PDFelement: The Best PDF Image to Text Converter for Windows and MacIt doesn’t matter if you have a Windows PC or a Mac, you can easily use PDFelement to convert image based PDF to text based PDF. Not just that, you can even export the editable PDF to a supported text-based format like Word. The application has an inbuilt OCR feature and runs a highly sophisticated algorithm. It supports different languages and provides a wide range of features to convert image to text in PDF.
- You can load a PDF document and the application will automatically detect that it is a scanned file.
- Using PDFelement, you can convert a PDF image to text in different languages. Presently, it supports 20+ major languages like English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese, and more.
- You can scan a PDF image and convert it to a searchable or an editable document easily.
- If you want, you can later export the OCR processed PDF file to other formats like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- The tool is extremely easy to use and offers tons of other features to edit, convert, optimize, split, or merge PDF documents as well.
Step 1: Open the file on PDFelementTo begin things, just launch PDFelement and open the source file on it. If you already have a scanned PDF ready, then click on the “Open File” button to browse it. In case, you only have an image file, then click on the “Create PDF” option to convert the image to a PDF document. You can also just drag and drop any PDF or image file to PDFelement as well.
Step 2: Convert PDF image to textIn no time, PDFelement will automatically detect that the loaded file is an image and will display a prompt to perform OCR. You can click on the “Perform OCR” button on the ribbon or browse to its Convert tab to access its OCR feature. As the Optical Character Recognition window will open, you can choose if you wish to convert it to a searchable or editable text document. You can also alter the preferred language from here or access its custom options.
Step 3: Edit or export the PDF file (optional)Once you use the image PDF to text PDF converter, you can easily access the document like a standard PDF. If you want, you can go to the “Edit” tab on PDFelement to make the desired changes in the file. Furthermore, you can also go to its Convert tab and select a format to export the file (like Word, Excel, Text, or PowerPoint).
Nitro Pro: Convert PDF Image to Text on WindowsApart from PDFelement, you can also take the assistance of Nitro Pro to convert PDF scanned image to text on Windows. The application has an inbuilt PDF image to text converter so you don’t have to install any third-party plugins. It also supports the exporting of the OCR processed PDF to different text-based formats like Word. Here’s how you can convert image based PDF to text based PDF using Nitro Pro.
- Launch Nitro Pro on your Windows and visit its Convert tab > To Word to convert it to a text-based file.
- As a dedicated window will open, just click on the “Add Files” to browse and load the scanned PDF document.
- Now, go to the “Choose Pages” option if you want to select the pages that you wish to process.
- In the end, select a preferred location to save the Word file in the Output file and click on the “Convert” button when you are ready.